Sunday, July 11, 2010

House of Fingerprints

Now, everyone that knows me well, knows that I am not the most meticulous of housekeepers. I really have been trying to do better, but in our new house, it seems like there is a potential for fingerprints everywhere I turn. I love our hardwood floors, but they show every single footprint....from perfectly clean, perfectly dry feet. It's enough to drive a woman crazy. If I had spent nearly as much time on this blog as I have on my floors, my blog would be thoroughly updated.

This is a picture of our floor SECONDS after I cleaned them. Those are my footprints as I walked our chairs back to the table.

Our glass doors are magnets for sticky little handprints.
Yes, those are Emma's footprints on my fridge door.
The mirrored doors in the bedrooms get fingerprints much faster than I can shine them.

I am reminded of a quote my mom gave me a while back. I can't find it right now, but it says something like, "Remember that the fingerprints on your walls will appear higher and higher until one day they disappear." I need to remember that my kids' childhoods are fleeting. My focus needs to be on my wonderful kids and not the fingerprints they leave behind. Who knows, someday I may learn to treasure those little footprints on my gleaming hardwoods.

"NO WALKING ON THE FLOORS, KIDS!!"

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

I can SO relate! I was just thinking this today. We got all stainless appliances...that's a mistake. Oh well.
I'm really happy to have you back in the blogging world! Yay!

Aunt Daisy said...

I have footprints on my fridge too! I only clean the glass door to the back yard three or four times a year!!! the last time was when someone casually mentioned something about it being hard to see out of....